Release from Self-condemnation

Devotions for those who are weary of feeling not good enough, regardless of the source of those feelings.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

What Do You Really Want?

What do you want most?

If we could answer that question truthfully, the motivations of our hearts would be revealed.

Sometimes, we aren't honest with ourselves about what we really want, but, if we continue to feed our desires for other things ahead of the Lord, we remain immature.*  

The childlike flesh is at odds with the purer desires of our Holy Spirit-inbreathed hearts. That's why every morning we must realign our hearts with His, and pray that our desires reflect His wants and not our own. We have to move away from continually analyzing ourselves to ascertain what we want. In every situation life throws at us, we must train ourselves first to ask,  "What does the Lord want?" Apart from this intentional realignment of our wayward, flesh-influenced hearts, we'll go the earthly, material, finite, way rather than focusing on things that are eternal as we are commanded to do.  


We are so infernally concerned with our short-term comfort that we have a very difficult time focusing upon the bigger picture. And so our Lord has graciously given us His Spirit to guide and teach us His ways. Through Him we are enabled to come out of ourselves enough to live our daily lives according to His desires rather than our own. 


If we asked our Lord what He wants, that His reply might be something like this: "I want children after My own heart, children who look like me; children who exude the fragrance of Christ. 'By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another (John 13:35).'"

Prayer: Lord, make me into a person who wants You most of all. Help me to set my hopes upon the future You have promised in Your Holy Word. Change all of my wants into desire for You.  Help me as I discipline my flesh for Your sake. Help me to walk according to the Spirit and not the flesh.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen. * 

~~~

*Quotes from day 17.  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment