Release from Self-condemnation

Devotions for those who are weary of feeling not good enough, regardless of the source of those feelings.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

All For Love: Thoughts From Day 11 and day 92

This morning I woke up with a phrase from Day 92's reading in my head..."He takes the punishment away from the crime..."

Here is the full quote:  

Our path out of bondage... is by way of God’s mercy. This takes the punishment away from the crime, the sting away from the dying, and self-condemnation away from our weakness; we are relying upon God’s faithfulness!

While pondering this I looked back to Day 11, since that's where I ought to be if we are going to proceed in numerical order.  Day 11 has to do with dying to our own sin-based desires.  

I was sitting here thinking that dying to self was a loftier-than-I'm-in-the-mood-for thought, when I caught sight of this line in the quote from Day 92: "God's mercy...takes the sting away from the dying."  

I thought, "Well, when we do things for love's sake the price doesn't seem too high..."  This reminded me of a song that was popular in the 1990's entitled All For Love.  

Long ago I received teaching that every song that has been sung will, at the end of all things, be sung for Christ (yes, some songs are going to need major editing).  This idea is Scripture-based; every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Christ (Romans 14:11, Isaiah 45:23).  From the time this idea took firm hold in my mind and heart, I've made it a habit to think of love songs in terms of Christ's love for us.  

Thus the song All For Love stirs my heart because I think of it as our Lord professing that we are His beloved.  

This has been convoluted, but let's see if I can summarize these thoughts that combine truths from two readings: Our overwhelming gratitude-fueled love for our Savior makes our small acts of sacrifice diminish in apparent cost. We scarcely notice the things we give up for Him because of all we have gained through Him.  

When we do it all for love, we don't notice the cost.  

~~~

For Christ’s love compels us...he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him...
(2 Corinthians 5:14a, 15).  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment