Release from Self-condemnation

Devotions for those who are weary of feeling not good enough, regardless of the source of those feelings.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Thoughts From Day 15

     Parents learn the art of self-sacrifice when their children are small.  As a mother, I was particularly attuned to my children's needs, and identified with them deeply.  

     My children are adults now, and this template of my motherly attention to their needs has continued. When this manifests itself in prayer for them, this is a strong positive. But when I attempt to help them through acts of service, the outcomes aren't always happy for me or, when my physical and emotional strength buckles, for them.

Day 15 is entitled Forsaking all Others.  The Lord doesn't ask us to give up ministry to those we love, but He does insist upon first place in our lives. As the passage of time requires us to navigate changing relationship roles, it is important to understand that the responsibilities the Lord placed upon us yesterday may not be the same ones He gives us today.  My identity was once defined by the word, "Mother," but although I will always love my children as my own heart, mothering is no longer my primary role. We must abide in the Lord, seek Him first, and receive firm guidance before we plunge into activities or ministries that may rob us of strength and focus so that we neglect the things God would have us do.  

From day 15:  In truth, we cannot protect our loved ones; we can only pray God’s protection for them. We can’t save them, but we can pray that His saving power is activated in their hearts. We can’t heal them, but we can pray that the Lord will heal them. Only through faith in our Lord’s sovereign power do we have courage to place our eyes firmly on Him while allowing our hearts to remain open to those we love.  Entrusting is not the same as abandoning. We can carry our loved ones in prayer without carrying loads God does not intend for us to bear.   

Prayer for today:  Father help us to seek you first, ahead of responsibilities to other human beings.  Direct us according to Your perfect will for us, and for those we love.  Please work in our circumstances and in our hearts to direct us according to Your will. In Jesus' Name we pray, amen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment