Release from Self-condemnation

Devotions for those who are weary of feeling not good enough, regardless of the source of those feelings.

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Trust His Love


Day 63

Trust His Love

The Lord shall prevent the evil thou fearest, and sanctify, remove, or lighten the evil thou feelest. He will preserve the soul, that it be not defiled by sin, and disturbed by affliction; he will preserve it from perishing eternally. He will keep thee in life and death; going out to thy labor in the morning of thy days, and coming home to thy rest when the evening of old age calls thee in. It is a protection for life.
Matthew Henry[i]

~~~

R
emember that it was fear of exposure that caused Adam and Eve to hide from God, and we are like them. When we turn our faces from the beauty and cleansing that is ours through Christ, it is nearly always because we have something to hide. 

We want to hide our fear of God’s will. We conjure “worst case scenarios” and attribute to Him negative motives that His love does not possess. The difficulty is that when we come into His light, we become overwhelmingly aware of our own wretched sinfulness, and we know He will do what is best for us no matter what. Therein resides our fear. How do we cope with a God whose love promises fire to cleanse our dross? 

We suffer confusion over the truth of Romans 8:28. God’s power does indeed transform tragic circumstances into tools that sculpt us into His likeness for our ultimate good, but this does not mean that He delivers bad things in order to make us good. The idea that God will hurt us to help us is flawed logic. We risk attributing the devil’s work to the Lord, and although God does take ultimate responsibility for Satan’s strategies, He is not the author of those evil plots against us.

Jesus was without sin, but He bore the results of our sin. The same Holy dynamic is at work in the truth that God works all things together for our good; God is incapable of authoring sin, but He takes responsibility for the devastation sin has caused. It is our Heavenly Father’s love, Christ’s sacrifice, and the resurrection power of the Holy Spirit that has won victory over all that is evil.

When we attempt to protect ourselves from God’s will, we rob ourselves of peace. The resurrection theme Jesus has woven into each of our lives allows us to anticipate His provision and blessing both in this world and in the next. We serve a God who has promised us good and not harm, a future and a hope.[ii] We can rest in the certainty of His love. 

Pray: Father, please forgive me for being unwilling to come to You when I think You might ask me to do something I don’t want to do. Help me to lay my will on Your altar. Help me to trust You without withholding any part of myself from Your perfect love. In Jesus’ name, amen. 

~~~

My heart is not proud, Lord,
    my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
    or things too wonderful for me.
 But I have calmed and quieted myself,
    I am like a weaned child with its mother;
    like a weaned child I am content.
 Israel, put your hope in the Lord
    both now and forevermore.
Psalm 131 NIV


[i] Matthew Henry’s concise commentary on Psalm 121, public domain
[ii] Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment