Release from Self-condemnation

Devotions for those who are weary of feeling not good enough, regardless of the source of those feelings.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Ready, Set, Go!

Day 84

Ready, Set, Go!

…all God’s servants in the Old Testament counted upon the omnipotence of God doing impossibilities. And this God lives today, and this God is the God of every child of His.[i]
Andrew Murray

~~~

T
he Biblical account of Jehoshaphat’s victory over a vast army contains the elements necessary for any endeavor, and that includes our efforts to become obedient, abiding, children of God. 

An admission of helplessness:  "For we are powerless against this great horde that is coming against us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you" (2 Chronicles 20:12).

A reminder: "Thus says the Lord to you, ‘Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed at this great horde, for the battle is not yours but God's’" (2 Chronicles 20:15).  

Instructions: "Tomorrow go down against them..." (2 Chronicles 20:16).

Assurance: "You will not need to fight in this battle. Stand firm, hold your position, and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem.’ Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed. Tomorrow go out against them, and the Lord will be with you" (2 Chronicles 20:17).  

The importance of praise:  "And when they began to sing and praise, the Lord set an ambush against the men of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir, who had come against Judah, so that they were routed"  (2 Chronicles 20:22).  

Pray:  Father, I admit I am helpless to save myself from my own sinfulness. You have saved me from a death sentence by dying in my place, now show me how to live a life that is resurrected with You, not bound by the flesh, but obedient to the Holy Spirit's guidance. Please keep me from fear and discouragement, prepare my mind with readiness, set my heart upon You, and help me to go quickly as I run the good race and fight the good fight.[ii] Thank You for Your presence with me, and thank You for fighting for me. I praise Your Name!  Amen.

~~~

Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.
Hebrews 12:12-13



[i] Andrew Murray, Absolute Surrender, public domain
[ii] 2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment