Release from Self-condemnation

Devotions for those who are weary of feeling not good enough, regardless of the source of those feelings.

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Fear Not

Week 3  Obey and Partake


Day 20

Fear Not

Wisdom shall keep them from being afraid without cause, and faith shall keep them from being unduly afraid. Whatever is done, our heavenly Father's will is done; and we have no reason to fear.
Matthew Henry[i]

~~~

W
e do not consciously choose fear, but it often grips our hearts and seems to threaten all we love. If our circumstances are happy, fear brings a reluctance to embrace joy because it is possible we might lose the people and things that gladden our hearts. And when our paths are difficult, the cynicism of fear seems more logical than faith.

We don’t want to face our anxieties; it is instinctive to run away from things that frighten us. Thus fear forms a pathway to disobedience as we seek the numbing effects of escapism rather than the cleansing of the Lord’s presence. Worry about tomorrow robs joy from today.

In my own Christian walk, I’ve often struggled with fear of the future. I have been with the Lord long enough to know He controls what we call “happenstance,” but I’ve continued to fret when my future has seemed to rest in the hands of other people. It’s as though I think the Lord can control my tomorrows as long as no human beings interfere.

Early one morning I poured my heart out to God, bringing Him the great anxiety I felt over a situation that had long caused me fear for the future. As I lifted those people who were in charge of the situation to the Lord in prayer, this thought came as from the Lord to me: 

Child, you are not waiting to see what they will do, you are waiting to see what I will do! 

Each day we can choose whether to go forth with fear and trembling, shaking with anxiety at each new prospect of joy, or we can embrace the future with open arms and a heart prepared to receive the full measure of God’s blessing. The God who controls the wind and waves is able to keep us safe in the palm of His hand. Though difficulties may swirl about us, He is able to rescue and deliver, even when other human beings are involved.

Pray:  Dear Lord, forgive me for harboring fear, and help me to embrace the future with open arms. Please prepare my heart to receive the full measure of Your blessing. Grant me wisdom that keeps me from being afraid without cause, and faith that keeps me from being unduly afraid[ii], in Jesus’ name I pray, amen. 

~~~

He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
Psalm 91:4 NLT




[i] Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary on Psalm 91, public domain 
[ii] Ibid

No comments:

Post a Comment