Release from Self-condemnation

Devotions for those who are weary of feeling not good enough, regardless of the source of those feelings.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Trust the Lord With Your Tears


Week 3  Obey and Partake

Day 18


Trust the Lord With Your Tears

Jesus knows exactly where you are today. He knows the challenges you face and the injuries you have sustained. Don’t open the door either to fear or temptation; remain safe within the boundaries of protected ground; bring all your sorrows to Him.

gh

S
everal times over the years I have experienced the blessing of reconciliation with someone who has hurt me in the past. It happened again just recently with a person who had once caused me--and worst of all, my children--real harm.  This person approached me with admiring words and an apology, and as I thought about this incident later, I remembered the Scripture I’d claimed at the time the injury occurred:  "I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars—I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you" (Revelation 3:9).  

With the perspective that time brings, I know I was not free of sin in this matter (as I believed at the time), and even when the hurt occurred I didn’t truly believe the other person was satanic. Yet all these years later God allowed me to see that He takes injuries sustained by His beloved children very seriously. He really does hear our prayers and takes action on our behalf.  We can entrust the things that have hurt us to Him, releasing the heart pain and forgiving those who inflicted the wounds. When we cast our cares upon the Lord, they are in very good hands.  

Our Heavenly Father’s heart is moved with compassion toward us when we cry out to Him in pain, and it is almost as though He is more concerned about the wounds our hearts have sustained than He is about who is right or wrong. This is an important understanding, because we often sense that we are not fully right, and this causes us to turn away from the Lord out of fear of His correction. But at the point of injury, the Lord offers comfort rather than judgment and healing ahead of instruction. When the dispute is between two Christians, He is miraculously able to work fully on behalf of each of His children, even when they have opposing perspectives and emotions. And when the injury falls from the hand of evil, we can trust God to take vengeance on our behalf and protect us from further harm.

This applies to weight loss because when we entrust heart wounds to Jesus, we receive much better relief than if we try to anesthetize the pain with a pint of ice cream or a pan of brownies. He sustains and protects, and if we'll give Him time we will see His vindication.  

Pray: Father, search my heart and bring to mind those who have hurt me in the past. I entrust the injuries I’ve received into Your hands. Please heal my heart, and protect me from further harm. I lift the ones who hurt me to You. I release the grudges I’ve held to You; please take action on my behalf. I forgive those who caused me pain, and from the safety of Your arms I release them into Your hands. Amen. 

gh

Again, my loved ones, do not seek revenge; instead, allow God’s wrath to make sure justice is served. Turn it over to Him. For the Scriptures say, “Revenge is Mine. I will settle all scores.
Romans 12:19 The Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment