Release from Self-condemnation

Devotions for those who are weary of feeling not good enough, regardless of the source of those feelings.

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Procrastination's Cure

Week 6  Trust and Peace

Day 41

Procrastination’s Cure

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
    and do not lean on your own understanding.
 In all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6  

~~~

One night--and I really don't know whether I was asleep or awake--it came strongly to me that I should babysit my grandsons the following day so that my daughter, who was recovering from a cold, could sleep. 

The next morning I shook off this impression as one would a dream. It didn't seem to stand up to the light of day; my husband wanted my help with a project, and when I talked to our daughter she sounded fine. I decided I would make supper for her family rather than offering to babysit.

When I delivered the meal at the end of the day, I looked into my child’s weary face and realized I had resisted the Holy Spirit. I had rationalized my way out of an assignment because I couldn't quite see how to carry it out, but after the fact I understood I had allowed my own logic to trump the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit. My daughter and her family were well fed by the supper I delivered to their house, but she wasn’t well rested as the Lord had intended.

During that afternoon I had tried unsuccessfully to fight procrastination, and finally had accomplished just a small amount of work in our old basement. Again, with the 20/20 vision of hindsight, I understood that my procrastination had its roots in my earlier disobedience; I wasn't where I was supposed to be nor was I doing what I was supposed to do!  

So many of us suffer the curse of procrastination and feel despair when we are unable to make ourselves complete some self-appointed task. We don’t connect disobedience to the Holy Spirit with our inability to be fruitful in other areas of our lives, but submission to the Holy Spirit’s lead is procrastination’s cure. That is because when we do what He asks when He asks us to do it, we have his help through “…the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe” (Ephesians 1:19). He works both in our circumstances and in our human desires so that our efforts are facilitated from within and without. God will not support any effort of which He is not the author, but when we walk in His way we find His saving help is our protection, and that He sustains us along the way.[i]

We must pray to recognize and obey the Holy Spirit’s voice so that we may offer right sacrifices to the Lord. Remember Cain, who offered a basket of fruit rather than the blood sacrifice God required, and then became angry when his offering was rejected. We rob ourselves of peace of mind and heart when we quench the Holy Spirit’s nudges. His voice is quiet, and requires our attentive, submissive focus along with our willingness to go His way and not our own. But when we walk according to the Spirit’s lead, we are freed of the struggle to resist Him. The result is peace of mind and heart.

God’s grace covers us when the distress of resisting Him leads us to repentance, and we are grateful, so grateful for His grace. But let’s pray to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s voice, and for grace to walk in the way He leads. 

Pray:  Father, please forgive me for walking in my own way and not Yours. Forgive me for the ways I have resisted Your Holy Spirit’s lead. Please improve my spiritual hearing, sensitize my heart to Your guidance, and grant me a willing spirit so that I may have the joy and peace of walking in Your way.  In Jesus’ Name, amen. 

~~~

Offer sacrifices in the right spirit,
    and trust the Lord.
Psalm 4:5 NLT


[i] Psalm 18:35-36

No comments:

Post a Comment